An ideal candidate might have any of the following previous ministry or life experience at a bare minimum. A number of our previous residents have had even greater previous ministry experience but gladly embraced the opportunity to learn from and be sent out from, Perimeter Church.
• A man who has campus ministry experience, “world missions” experience, or parachurch ministry experience, but not local church ministry experience.
• A man who has local church experience, but only with youth or college ministry, not yet having been a leader to and shepherd of adults.
• A man who has been an assistant pastor, but was not adequately mentored in this context to be prepared to church plant.
• A man who has had (1) significant years of experience in “the market place” (or education, government, healthcare, etc), (2) experience as an officer of a local church and “volunteer” shepherd, and (3) has perhaps even enjoyed the opportunity of part-time ministry experience while in seminary, but who has yet to be given the opportunity to be a “full-time staff pastor”.
• A man who has been in full-time pastoral ministry, has yearned for a more “progressive and innovative” church experience, but—to date—has only “seen ministry” in rather “traditional” church models.
After two short years in residency, the CPiR will be as prepared as a church planter can be. We seek teachable men who know the degree of difficulty of church planting, but who, nonetheless, feel called to do so. They put their faith in the Lord while sharpening the sickle and plow. And with passion will evangelize, disciple, equip, teach, preach and serve according to the power of the gospel.